Trunkmonkey Racing will be in attendance at the Greater Boston NEMBA Dark Hollow Pond trail project at Middlesex Fells Reservation this coming Sunday (April 27, 2014). Come join us bright and early to move some dirt, build some singletrack, and open up Dark Hollow Pond to mountain bikes! For more information, please see the event page on Facebook or the NEMBA Web site.
Back in November an amazing video popped up in my Feedly called Angel’s Share: Exploring Scotland’s Singletrack and Single Malt. I’m a big fan of mountain biking. I’m a big fan of Scotch. And I’m a fan of Ben Howard whom I’ve heard a few times and was chosen for the soundtrack.
But a couple of days ago Dan Barham posted on Reddit “I love MTB and Scotch, so I joined the two and made this article“. The original video didn’t have a link to the article so it was great to read the rest of the story. Even if you’re not a fan of Scotch it’s definitely a great tale.
What’s the best way to wind down after a hard day of trail building and mountain biking? Alcohol and bacon of course! And how do we combine the two into a single snack for uncomplicated gluttonous consumption? With Chippoke’s Cabin Fever Maple Whisky Bacon Grease Infused Bacon Crumble Brown Sugar Caramelized Ghost Chile Chex Mix! Just the name alone instills fear in the hearts of cardiologists everywhere! Don’t even bother trying to calculate calories or serving sizes. It’ll just depress you.
Right, let’s do this!
- Cook bacon to an almost burned crispy hard consistency. Think potato chips.
- Crumble bacon into 1/4″ to 1″ long chunks and set aside on paper towels.
- Pour bacon grease into a Pyrex measuring cup.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Line three large baking trays with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In one or two large bowls mix Chex Mix with pecan halves and crumbled bacon.
- In a two-quart saucepan heat brown sugar, bacon grease, and light corn syrup over medium heat. Stir occasionally until bubbly around the edges.
- Cook five minutes, stirring occasionally, and remove from heat.
- Stir in whisky and ghost chile powder.
- Pour slowly over Chex Mix and toss or lightly fold with a spatula until evenly coated.
It’s go time!
- Spread snack mixture evenly over pans.
- Bake 15ish minutes at 300°F stirring every five minutes.
- Crank oven up to broil, swap pans from rack to rack, and cook each pan directly under the heating element for an extra twoish minutes until crispy and caramelized. Final consistency will be like peanut brittle.
- Cool completely, break into pieces, and serve in large bowl.
- Seal extras or leftovers in Tupperware to keep fresh and crispy. Absorbs moisture quickly, especially during outdoor parties.
But Mac’s our number one customer. His smiles tell the Mac Ride story better than I can.
Trunkmonkey Racing backs Mac Ride! This is insanely cool. What happens when you cross a kid named Mac and a Mountain Bike? You get Mac Ride, a Kickstarter out of Vancouver, eh! From their Web site:
It was my wish for our children to benefit from these same outdoor adventures as well as my passion for engineering and mountain biking that led to Mac Ride.
Riding is not the safest activity on planet earth. But when set against the chaos of traffic and the bubblewrap boredom of an overprotected childhood, I think Mac Ride strikes a balance. I worry about the wimpification of today’s children. I think kids should be exposed to the power of their bodies and the risks of the outdoors. Then they can learn about good choices, while building confidence and resilience.
If my nephews were still toddler-sized I’d be all over this thing!
Fezzari unleashes the new Timp Peak as part of their 2014 lineup!
Fezzari has totally revamped its Web site and unleashed the new Timp Peak 650b line as part of its new 2014 lineup. Check out all the new models on their Web site.